14 June 2012

The Weird Fish



There are some pretty weird looking things in the ocean. The other day I was taking pictures at the Aquarium and saw my fair share of weird fish and it got me thinking. We all grew up with that weird kid in class. That one that was a little bit different. Well in my life, I feel at times I might have been that weird kid. During the course of my life experiences, I feel that I might not have acted as the rest of the kids that were my age. In some situations I might have been more mature, and in others, a little juvenile. I might not have been up to date on the latest fads, or who was playing for which professional sports team. Even my taste in music be considered dated to some people. Yes my friends, I feel that I might have been that weird fish. But as I was looking at this weird fish, something came to me. Our society teaches us we must stand out. Our role models that get all the attention are famous actors, prominent business men and politicians. Even at a young age we try to become known and “stand out” as prominent athletes, outstanding students, or student body presidents. We have this inherent desire to become what some might call a “weird fish.” What makes us unique is also what makes us similar; that desire stand out in one way or another. Some ways are seen more positively than others. In my case, I feel that people don’t quite understand my quirks. I feel that through the course of my life, no one really appreciated my type of uniqueness, and if no one did, how could anyone ever appreciate it.
                Until recently this is how I thought; not very exciting, and scary in some ways. These past couple of months has caused me to reflect greatly on how I have lived my life. The friendships I have made, the people I have helped, and the family I have. I have come to understand myself in a completely different light. Before when I thought, “How could anyone like a fish like me?” I see now, “Where are the fish like me?” As I go about my business each day I look at people and see how they interact with the people around them. I look at them and say to myself, “somewhere, there are people who are exactly like me, who feel the same way, who are looking for someone to fit in with.” I don’t see myself as a weird fish anymore. I look for the ones that stand out in the same way that I stand out, and they are the ones that I want to be with. One big happy school of “weird fish.”

No comments: